The Heart: My Mouth Shows My Heart

For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."- Luke 6:43-45

Jesus was teaching that whatever we see on the outside of people (good or bad) reflects their hearts. We've been teaching Jimmy that his actions show where his heart already is. And God is teaching us that our words and bad attitude flow right out of our hearts of evil too! I'm so thankful to learn this truth. My bitterness towards someone or anger at Jimmy and Caleb for disobeying isn't because of them! If I'm really grounded in Christ, then my desire will be to lay down my life for them. But since I think of myself and how they "wrong" me, it's showing me my heart lack- I need Jesus to heal me and free me from this sin and give me love for others!

Paul Tripp shares how so many parents try to "apple nail" fruit in their kids lives. They want to make this bad tree look good by teaching good behavior. Though boundaries and rules are good (they show us our sin as we disobey them), obedience should never be the goal.  "Lasting change always travels through the pathway of the heart."

Am I just nailing on my tree instead of honestly seeking Christ to change my heart? Am I nailing "good fruit" on my kids instead of letting their sin point to them that they have sinful hearts that need help?
A tree is known by it's leaves and fruit
Our hearts are always selfish and self serving. Only Jesus was good and loving. Praise God, those that are His can be good and kind and loving towards others in His strength. Often though, I still put my energy into  my outward behavior. It's good and right for me to fight the sin and sinful lifestyle, but always by seeking God and getting to the root issue: my heart. The fruit only comes as God changes my heart to make me more like Him.

 Have I missed a chance to show my kids the good news that help has already come through Jesus and our bad fruit doesn't have to lead to death, but can point our need for life in Christ?

So, as I see my sinful heart, I'm learning to fight against the sin by turning to God and His Word, asking for forgiveness, and praying He'll help me live out His love as He changes my heart. And I'm praying that I can both model and instruct my kids in this truth too. Praise God He gives us strength to be renewed from the inside out!!!

"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." - Ezekiel 36:26,27

[Read the rest of this series here: #2- Do I skip heart? #3- Questions, #4- When to Correct, #5- Our process, #6- Bad Character]

Comments

Ru said…
Great insight and thoughts! Thanks for sharing!!!

Popular posts from this blog

When Homeschool is all over the home

A Fallen Idol- one man's sin exposed my own

Because I Forget...