Boasting on facebook

“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”- Ephesians 5:15-17
I've been thinking a lot about my facebook profile. I read once that some people struggle with depression because facebook is like reading an ongoing Christmas card. We only show the highlights: holidays surrounded by loved ones, vacations, things we've accomplished, beautiful meals we've prepared, time spent with friends, etc. So a lot of people read status updates and see pictures and feel like their life is lonely and not good enough. I wish I could remember where I read it to link to. Regardless, it stuck. My eyes have been opened. It struck me as so sad, because my original heart as I set up a facebook page was that it would be a place online where I live out the love of Jesus I have received. And yet, as I prayed through it, I saw that I have bragged and boasted both on facebook over the years and here on my blog. And I'm so very sorry. Will you please forgive me?

Please know I believe with my whole heart that God has given me this blog and my facebook profile to use for His glory. I pray about when to post, how to respond, and who to reach out to. I believe He has shown me how great a tool social media can be to love one another, pray for hurting friends/family, show thankfulness and appreciation for good gifts He's given, etc. But always in a way that points us back towards Jesus, our living hope. At times, in instruction, it is good to show His good gifts and it brings Him glory. But sometimes, I have been proud of a way He's show me to teach my kids or a trip He blessed us with. I have shown them to my glory, not His. And I do not want that to be true of me again. I'm remembering my original heart for my blog and facebook (read post here) and seeking to live that out in His strength. 

I'm praying as I continue on in this new awareness, that my blog and facebook profile will be a sweet reflection of our great Savior and my thankful heart towards Him. I'm praying you'll be encouraged and leave "my page" spurred on into Him. I'm praying others who read this post will evaluate their own social media. Will you look at your tweets, status updates, pictures, blog posts, etc. and ask God to show you where you boasted or sought your own glory? And then let's repent and pray about each future post, not to condemn ourselves, but to excitedly live purposefully to His glory in all life, including online!

Comments

Megan said…
What a great challenge! Thank you, Ginny! I feel like I often fall into the trap of checking how many comments and hits I get on my blog/facebook and feeling more accomplished the more feedback I get. What a sad trap to fall into!
I agree that social media can be a great tool for bringing glory to God. I pray that more Christians (myself included) would use it this way!
Making the Most said…
I'm with you Megan B.!!! The "stats" page is a snare for me.

and btw- your blog is such a solid reminder of how God uses social media. You share so vulnerably and with such beautiful depth of faith through trials, blessings, and everyday life. I'm consistently encouraged by you and learn SO much through you!
Jonelle said…
What a great reminder, girl. Thanks for being obedient! :)
Megan said…
That is so sweet, Ginny. Thank you! You are such an encouragement as well! :o)

Blessings to you and your family of 3 boys! :o) Such exciting news!

Popular posts from this blog

When Homeschool is all over the home

A Fallen Idol- one man's sin exposed my own

Because I Forget...