Mommyhood: My Daily Life Matters, Part 2

I shared about a post I read about motherhood that has really set my eyes straight on my mission as Mommy. I want to share some more thoughts I had and encourage you to read Rachel's post.
Giving up what you cannot keep does not mean giving up your home, or your job so you can
go serve somewhere else. It is giving up yourself. Lay yourself down. Sacrifice yourself here, now. Cheerfully wipe the nose for the fiftieth time today. Make dinner again for the people who don’t like the green beans. Laugh when your plans are thwarted by a vomiting child. Lay yourself down for the people here with you... Rejoice in them. Sacrifice for them. Gain that which you cannot lose in them.
It is easy to think you have a heart for orphans on the other side of the world, but if you spend your time at home resenting the imposition your children are on you, you do not. You cannot have a heart for the gospel and a fussiness about your life at the same time. You will never make any difference there if you cannot be at peace hereYou cannot have a heart for missions, but not for the people around you. A true love of the gospel overflows and overpowers. It will be in everything you do, however drab, however simple, however repetitive.
This passage struck me the most. It's just so true. I've often heard people who say they have a heart for the world and wonder why if they really have such depth of love like they say they do, that they aren't involved in internationally ministry right here now. Or learning new languages and getting equipped biblically to prep for overseas. Do they even sponsor a child through an organization already reaching them? Or give generously to world missions? I judge quickly (ouch!)

Reading this convicted me that God is calling me in the same way. If I have a heart for people who need Jesus and I'm willing to lay myself down and "go" wherever He calls, then my daily life matters. My heart for missions should overflow in my daily life to my family. I should live it out where He has already called me. Here. With my sweet boys who need Jesus. Daily. Willingly giving up myself for them to see a glimpse of our sweet Jesus. What a joy and honor. I'm so thankful for Rachel's encouraging post. You really should read the whole thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Homeschool is all over the home

A Fallen Idol- one man's sin exposed my own

Because I Forget...