A Weaned Soul #2- Rest and Hope

I shared part of my journey in Psalm 131 by sharing the sin snares (Pride, comparison/judgement, and anxiety) that rob me all of us from a calm and quiet soul in God. So what should I seek?

"O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore."

"I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child..."
Many of you know very well the difference between a baby still breastfeeding vs. a weaned child. When Mommy walks in the room, the baby still feeding from Mommy may cry, scream, and lunge at Mommy. Even as Mommy settles in, the baby may thrash panicky until latched on. This is often how I feel I run to God. It's in a slight panic, but knowing He is the source I need. Yet, here the Psalmest says like a "weaned child". 
Jimmy cried daily (for weeks after he was born) until I'd take him to feed him
A weaned child gets more mature food at the table. So when Mommy walks in the room, it's a joyful excitement to see Mommy. And when the child is on Mommy's lap, it's usually to snuggle or read or play together. No panic, just a comfortable rest and trust with Mommy. That is how we calm and quiet our souls, by joyfully looking to Christ with full hope in Him alone. By coming to Him without the panicky need, to spend time with Him regularly.

"Oh Israel, hope in the Lord. From this time forth and forevermore" How will I keep my hope in Him? By coming to Him regularly. In prayer and in His Word on a daily basis. Over time. Forever. Psalm 130:5 says "in His Word I hope." And His word brings such hope! In my deepest sin of pride, comparison, and anxiety I can cling to His Word. Yet also in my daily life as wife, mom, and friend I will gain a calm and quieted soul through His Word. I see in the Bible that Jesus openly pursued His enemy and willingly laid down His life for them (Mark 14-16). I'm reminded that I have that same power in me through Him to look to others interests over mine (Philippians 2). I see that His perfect love casts out all fear (1 John 4). I see the Creator and Sustainer of the whole earth who cares for the lilies of the field and the birds of the air and I can rest knowing He'll certainly provide for me as well (Matthew 6). His Word is our comfort and refuge (Psalm 119) as it points again and again to our living hope: Jesus (1 Peter 1)!

So, though my sin feels raw and exposed, I'm thankful for the warnings and promise in Psalm 131. Through His grace, I'm learning to rest in Jesus like a weaned child:) What a good and loving God we serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Homeschool is all over the home

A Fallen Idol- one man's sin exposed my own

Because I Forget...